½ red cabbage very thinly sliced
3 shallots minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon or more good quality Dijon mustard
Lots of salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil and add the shallots cook slowly until lightly browned
- Add all the cabbage at once, and mix well, lower the heat and continue mixing for a few minutes
- Add olive oil, wine, balsamic vinegar, mustard and salt (start with 1 teaspoon)
- Mix very well and taste, add salt and pepper to taste, cover with a lid and braise for about 20 minutes over med low heat, stirring occasionally
- Remove lid and continue to cook over low until most of wine is evaporated.
- It should be a beautiful dark purple and have a bit of a bite to it, similar to al dente pasta.
- Correct seasonings and serve